I’m an #privacy, #opensource, #opendata and #openstandards advocate. I’m holding a grudge against Big Tech, big IP holders and authoritharian governments. Furthermore I’m a #3Ddesigner, #3Dprinter, #webdesigner and overall #DIY guy.
But most of all I’m a free man.
I completed the projectbox yesterday. It is looking good (well good enough) and I was eager to wrap-up the project. Just a few solder joints and it was finished. Before I started soldering, as I final test, I screwed the circuit board in the box and plugged in the power, I opened the magnetic sensor and… nothing happened, at least no audible sound either from the relay or the loudspeaker. I checked the voltage on the noise making part of the circuit, nothing. Then I checked the relay part. I measured voltage but the relay will not energize. Probably something has happened when I screwed the circuit board. Now I’m stuck with a nearly finished projectbox and an apparently broken circuit.
When frustration builds up I have learned to leave a project alone. You might end up throwing the project out of the window. On the up-side this may be a learning opportunity. On page 139 of Make:Electronics is an explanation how to trace faults in a circuit. I had no need for that until now. It is also an opportunity to use the minigrabber (see Figure 3-6 of the book) that I had recently bought.
Inside of the finished project box. On the lid two leds, switch, loudspeaker and banana plugs. On the left side the connector for the power.
Exterior of the finished project box
The minigrabbers. Hopefully they will be helpful to find the fault in the circuit
I solved the problem with the circuit. I simply forgot to place a single wire that powers the coil. After this I was ready to solder the complete circuit on the Adafruit perfboard. I started with the noise making part of the circuit and tested it. Then I continued with the sensor and the relay part. It’s strangely exciting to power the board for the first time and hope it works fine. In my case it did so no frustrating fault tracing although one can learn a lot from this. I’m happy with the result but I now need some components before I’m able to finish experiment 15. This experiment includes placing the soldered board in a project box and add some user control to the intrusion alarm.
Completed circuit on the perfboard.
Overview of the perfboard, magnetic sensor and loudspeaker.
I had to scale down the circuit that I had built before because the perf board that I’m going to use is pretty small (Adafruit Perma-Proto 1/2 Sized Breadboard). I also decided to change the relay that I used for another type. I previously used the SRC-S-12VDC which works fine but the pin layout is different from the relay used in Make:Electronics. So I used the FTR-F1 CD 012 which is one of the recommended relays in the book. Once I built the circuit everything worked fine except for one thing. Once the alarm is triggered by the magnetic sensor the alarm should be locked even if the magnetic sensor is closed again. This is not the case. I went over the circuit several times but I couldn’t fix the problem. I don’t want to waste to much time on this so I think I will build the alarm without the lock.
A couple of years ago I started working with electronics as a hobby. The reason was that it seemed cool to create electronics gadgets and learn about electronics in the process. I had limited training in electronics so I decided to start with simple electronics kits. These kits contain a PCB, electronic components and a simple step by step instruction. So I built a FM radio, an amplifier and some simple LED gadgets but apart from enhancing my soldering skills I didn’t learn much about electronics. Then at www.makezine.com I came across the Make:Electronics book by Charles Platt. The book from 2009 but it looked very hands-on and I ordered it. By now I have almost finished the first three chapter and I arrived at experiment 15 which proved to be the most challenging so far.
In experiment 15 I have to build a alarm circuit. After some setbacks I have a working circuit on breadboard.
Two breadboards with on top the magnetic sensor, the breadboard with the noisemaking circuit and the loudspeaker. At the bottom the relay circuit that triggers the noismaking circuit.
I finished a bar table for our kitchen today. I found a design for a table made of scaffolding wood. This wood is probably the cheapest that one can get but it is sturdy and it looks nice (at least that’s what I think). The local DIY shop where the wood was bought also cut it at the desired length. Building it was easy. Just build the table top B, by attaching the 62mm stave lath (D) to the table top and attach it to the table leg A with the 30mm width stave (G). The planks of leg (A) were connected with the stave (E). Some of the 195mm wood was slightly curved but the staves straightened it nicely.